THE ORGANISATION OF
GOVERNMENT OF ST. KITTS-NEVIS
NEVIS ISLAND ADMINISTRATION
DISASTER MANAGEMENT & MITIGATION PROJECT, NEVIS
9th June 2010 at 11:00 a.m.
Llewellyn Newton Disaster
Long Point, Nevis
Prayer Pastor Jerry Languedoc Adventist Disaster Relief Agency
Chairperson Remarks Mr. Brian Dyer Project Officer Nevis Disaster Management Department
Overview of the Project Mr. Lester Blackett Director Nevis Disaster Management Department
Remarks Member of Project Planning Committee
Message Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency
Remarks Mr. Starret Greene OAS representative for St. Kitts & Nevis
Address Hon. Joseph Parry Premier & Minister responsible for Disaster Management
Signing of Project Agreement
Vote of Thanks
THE PROJECT WILL:
- enable the Federal Government & the Nevis Island Administration to more accurately assess the impact of natural disasters on the economy
and therefore the livelihood of its citizens, in addition to providing base line data and useful information for future events
- regularize planning processes by providing standards, regulations and guidelines
- provide training in a number of areas including total impact assessment (natural hazard, environmental and economic) and in planning
development and control
- provide information to the general public on all selected aspects relating to physical and economic planning and disaster management
- provide equipment for use in various training programs and for use in disaster management situations
- provide significantly enhanced Disaster Management plan, structure, policies and processes to the benefit of all stakeholders
- ensure that mitigation planning is integrated into all essential aspects of the institutional framework resulting in risk reduction measures
- develop additional mechanisms to prepare for and recover from disasters which affect the tourism infrastructure and product
- develop school based disaster programmes accessible to students, creating greater awareness and education.
Organisation of American States, through its special multilateral fund of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (FEMCIDI), Government
of St. Kitts-Nevis, Nevis Island Administration, CDEMA, UNECLAC, National Emergency Management Agency, Premier’s Ministry, Ministry of Finance,
Physical Planning, Natural Resources & Environment, Economic Planning & Statistics, Ministry of Tourism, Planning & Sustainable Development (St.
Kitts), Management & Staff of Nevis Disaster Management Department, Legal Department. Thanks also to Almond Dasent, Choice Radio, Public
Works & Police Department, TDC, LIME, Caribbean Cable Communications, Media houses, Alister Thompson, Carla Liburd, Carl Claxton,
Environmental Health, Agriculture.
THE MISSION STATEMENT
The "Nevis Disaster Management Department" (NDMD) will develop and implement a Comprehensive Disaster Management Plan for the present and
future, and shall develop its resources along with the public and private sector, to maximize efforts to prevent, prepare for, mitigate, respond to,
recover and restore from, the effects of disasters.