Extracts from Sections 13 -16 of the 2005 Nevis Disaster Plan (draft)
NEVIS DISASTER MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE (NDMC)
13. The general direction and control of the Committee resides with the Honourable Premier of Nevis.
14. Membership of the Committee is as follows:
Honourable Premier - Chairman
Permanent Secretary, Premier & Human Resources - Deputy Chairman
Director – Nevis Disaster Management Office - Secretary
Permanent Secretary - Agriculture, Lands, Housing, Cooperatives & Fisheries
Permanent Secretary - PPNRE/CWPUP
Permanent Secretary - Finance
Permanent Secretary - Education & Library Affairs
Permanent Secretary - Tourism, Culture, Telecommunications & Informatics
Permanent Secretary - Health, Gender & Social Affairs
Principal Assistant Secretary - Youth, Sports, Community Affairs, Trade & Industry
Medical Officer of Health
Superintendent of Police - Police Division (Nevis)
Director - Press and Government Information
Director - Physical Planning, Natural Resources & Environment
Manager - Nevis Electricity Company Ltd. (NEVLEC)
Representative - Lion's Club
Representative - Rotary Club
Representative - Red Cross Society
Representative - Chamber of Commerce (Nevis Chapter)
Representative - Telecommunications
The main function of the Nevis Disaster Management Committee is to ensure that the island is in a state of preparedness at all times. Its areas of planning will include:
- Collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency.
- Co ordination of the activities of District Emergency Organizations in the island.
- Arrangements for relief aircraft and ships, including customs clearance for relief supplies and personnel.
- Storage and control of relief supplies and equipment.
- Public information and press briefings.
- Warning systems, warning dissemination, responsibility for and control of local broadcasting.
- Disaster plans, emergency shelters and promulgation of plans.
- Transport and equipment requirements.
- Direction of labour
- Entry control of non essential visitors.
- Advising the National Emergency Management Agency on the requirement for anticipatory orders under the Emergency Powers Act.
- Post disaster reconnaissance and reports.
- Post disaster demolition and repairs
16. All correspondence concerning the Management Committee should be addressed to:
Nevis Disaster Management Committee
Nevis Disaster Management Office